5 Uncommon Natural Hurricane Preparedness Tips
It is hurricane season again in Florida and we want you to be prepared. Good preparation and a solid emergency plan can reduce stress. Year after year some of us have become resilient, and not only fail to take adequate measures to protect our property, but also fail to adequately protect our health. There are plenty of routine hurricane prevention tips most of us are familiar with such as stocking up on batteries and plywood. I thought it would be a good time to provide some guidance and natural health tips you may not have thought of to weather the storm!
1. Keep in touch! As soon as the weather forecasters suggest that a storm may be heading our way, most people forget all about their diet, their health, their wellness treatments, and any exercise routines. Although, there may be other priorities in preparing for a storm, good planning will prevent chaos. Our new ‘Vitality’ plans already include the ability to stay in constant contact with our physicians. Let us know what you need early and we can provide the care or make medical decisions quickly based on our communication with you.
2. Just as important as taking routine doses of pharmaceuticals for various medical issues, herbal medicines need to be taken with consistency to promote a healthy response. Plan ahead and contact the office during this season to ensure you have an adequate supply of herbal and nutritional products on hand. Waiting until a storm is heading in our direction could be too late, as businesses start shutting down and shipping is delayed.
3. Get your acupuncture treatments in ahead of time. Acupuncture works best at bringing your health back with persistence and frequency. For example, if you are scheduled twice a week for acupuncture, come in prior to the storm for an extra treatment. You may not be able to receive care right away once the storm has cleared. Not only will the additional treatment strengthen the body, but it will help relieve anxiety and stress.
4. Make sure your herbal first aid kit is ready to go. The common first aid kits usually contain supplies of bandages, band-aids, tape and a wound washing solution or ointment. I would recommend a simple powdered formula made of Chinese herbs and natural ingredients like sulfur, clay, alum, and calamine. This powder will stop a cut from bleeding, prevent infection, and act like a protective skin. Adding other herbal medicines for stress, headaches, sleep, digestive issues, or pain would be a good plan to cover all potential problems.
5. Don’t let your diet suffer during a storm. Plan your emergency diet plan out now. It is hard to believe that you can eat foods that are healthy and don’t need refrigeration or freezing but its true. Our ancestors 100 years ago barely had refrigerators that held ice to keep food cold. Select root vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes like peas and beans, lentils and a host of other non-refrigerated foods that can be stored for extended periods without air conditioning, refrigeration or freezing. This way you won’t stress when the power goes out and everything starts to melt.
Stay safe and healthy this hurricane season by planning ahead. Wishing You the Best of Health!